Evaluation - Using conventions of real media texts - Teaser trailer

For my coursework, I needed to make a teaser trailer to advertise my film. Before I was abet plan, film and edit my trailer, I needed to understand the fundamental conventions.
I started at looking at the differences and similarities between theatrical and teaser trailers as I thought it would help me understand hat to put in my teaser trailer and what I should leave out. I looked the 2 films that had both a teaser and theatrical trailer.

Theatrical and Teaser trailer 1

Theatrical and Teaser trailer 2

From this I learn a lot about teaser trailers and theatrical trailers and how they are used to reveal certain things. Teaser trailers are a lot shorter than theatrical trailers and contain a lot less content. The whole point of a teaser trailer is that they are left wanting to find out more and see the film. 
After I had done this I wanted to look at teaser trailer conventions so that I know hat I needed to include when making mine. 
I have looked at 4 different teaser trailers from different genres. 

Teaser trailer conventions - Life of pets 

Teaser trailer conventions - Transformers the last knight

Teaser trailer conventions - Marvels captain America

Teaser trailer conventions - The dictator

As I thought, I found that the same conventions came up regardless of the genre.
  • Title of film 
  • Release date 
  • Social media 
  • Voice over man 
  • Quick editing 
  • Tagline 
  • Eyecandy 
  • A variety of camera shots 
  • Music 
  • Sound effects 
  • Possible reference to other films 
  • Images from film 
  • Production logo  
  • Names of actors 
Once I decided the genre of my film, I wanted to focus more closely on thrillers and so I analysed more teaser trailers, but this time only from that genre to find out the conventions of the genre, again so I knew what to include in my trailer.


Doing all of this search had made me want to pick 'psychological thriller;. I found it really interesting and therefore have decided to bas my genre on that.
It then made me look into films similar to my idea to help me develop my idea of 'psychological thriller'



Both these films share great similarities to the main traits to what I think I want to portray. I wanted to create a film that suggests there is a psycho obsessed main character and that is exactly what 'spit' does. Clouzot inferno also uses lighting and colour to portray different emotion, which I wanted to explore and found this interesting. Both these film helped me to develop my thoughts of what I wanted to portray and got me to start thinking about the stating point. They use visual affects on screen sound, and colour to make the viewers feel uncomfortable and scare which I waned to include. 







These are at the very beginning of my teaser trailer. These are the production companies, which introduce who are producing it and start the trailer off. This a convention of a teaser trailer and there makes it more realistic.

























The first shot of the 2 girls you see together is a two shot. The 'psycho girl' is wearing red and the 'normal girl' is wearing black. Red represents danger which give the audience a hint even from the beginning of the trailer. The 'normal girl' is wearing black. Which suggests she is lonely and doesn't have many friends. This is a contrast and shows the stark differences between their personalities















To show a progress in friendship over time, I made up a series of events that could show them 'hanging out' and becoming closer. I researched things that would be obvious to show a growing friendship. I also had to make sure they were in different clothes throughout each shot, to highlight each event was on a different day and that there growing friendship had been over a period of weeks.






























Comments

Popular Posts